Saturday, June 04, 2005

Field vs. Asphalt

There was a story in yesterday's Washington Post about development encroachment on the corridor between Gettysburg PA and Monticello VA.

Read the whole story at
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/06/02/AR2005060201761.html?sub=AR

Development has become sort of a fact of life here in Maryland, but I still cling to the hope that something of the historical character of the area can be saved for my children.

Then I read quotes like this...

Joe Paciulli, whose land surveying and engineering firm, Paciulli, Simmons & Associates Ltd., is involved with many projects in Loudoun County, had the following to say: "I understand historic sites, and I understand natural beauty and all those things, but when you are dealing basically just with endless fields and endless terrain, it's hard for me to relate to a statement like that. It sounds rather extreme," he said.

Endless fields and endless terrian-- that's the POINT! UNDEVELOPED! When you put a shopping mall or a road or a housing development on a battlefield, you can't get it back.

Sometimes I think I live on a different planet.

No comments: