Saturday, January 27, 2007

Stashing and busting

Little Brewer #2 is a genius. Look at the drawing he did on Paint. This would make a fabulous yarn!


It looks like a sunset. I officially name this color "Jeffrey"

In other news, I've been pondering the rules for Knit From Your Stash.

(if I could figure out how to add a button to my sidebar, I would. HMTL=1, Brewgal=0)

For instance, are the following scenarios within the KFYS rules:

  1. Can I buy yarn from a thrift store? Net yarn = +, but cheap
  2. Can I take apart items I have already made and re-use the yarn for another project? Net yarn = 0
  3. Can I buy items at the thrift store, take them apart and re-use the yarn, yadda yadda yadda? Net yarn = +, but possibly offset by effort.

Can you tell Brewgal has been loitering around the thrift store lately? My zip code has an excellent mix of households that are new families and families that were original owners. This means that when the original householders move on to warmer climes or Leisure World, they downsize. And this often means the knitting stash gets donated.

Yesterday, while Little Brewer #2 and Brewguy were having "guy's day out" at the Udvar-Hazy Air and Space Museum, Little Brewer #1 and I ran errands. We came away from the thrift store with a great cache of needles and an odd kntted garment. I am not sure how to describe it. It was open in front like a cardigan, seamed under the arms, short sleeved. What attracted me was the geniune norweigan frog clasp and the feel of the wool. I am sure it was knit with unprocessed fibre because I could feel the lanolin. Heaven! And for $2.50, worth the price just for the clasp alone.

I tried it on just to make sure it couldn't be salvaged as a stand alone piece. It fit like a slightly off-center short sleeved blanket. Oookaay, let's frog that puppy!

When I'm finished, I'll post before and after photos.

No comments: