Sunday, April 13, 2008

Gone in 5 seconds

Life oftens throws you a loop. Remember our redecoration? We moved the hanging cabinet from the kitchen to the dining room. Doesn't it look lovely? See my beautiful glassware and ceramics?



Look again.



The cabinet fell off the wall. Just...fell.





Brewguy was standing in the dining room talking to his mom on the phone. I was in the kitchen cleaning up a wine glass he had just knocked on to the floor and broken (can you say harbinger?) There was a boom, then a crash and a crash and more and more crashing as the cabinet fell off the wall, smashing all the glassware. More than smashing- pulverizing.

I stood there, open jawed. Brewguy was silent for a moment, then spoke into the phone, "Mom, I've got to go. The cabinet just fell off the wall."

The consensus is that the vibration from the door caused the bolts to loosen.

It has been a few days, but I am still mourning the loss. My grandmother's Fostoria, the Waterford I dragged back from Stoke-on-Trent in my suitcase, the art deco coffee pot, the crystal... all gone. Everthing I've collected over the last 20 years. Poof! The kicker? Our insurance does not cover glassware or ceramics.



I try to keep in mind that the little brewers weren't home at the time and so therefore weren't hit by flying glass. I'm still finding little pieces of glass around.

Like most disasters, there were a few survivors.

No comments: