Saturday, April 19, 2008

Strikke!

It may not seem like it, but I really *have* been working on my Strikke-along project. I've changed my idea about three times mid-stream with this project. I finally settled on a semi-yoked, 2x2 rib pattern with a split neck.

Here we see my first challenge. Ok, second. The first was figuring out how to knit in the round. How do I join the sleeves to the body?


I spent almost a week puzzling this out. I couldn't figure out how to join the sleeves to the body at the underarm.
I kept reading and re-reading Elizabeth Zimmerman's intructions in Knitting Without Tears. Then it hit me: the sleeves are joined to the body on the OUTSIDE edge, not the underarm edge. The underarm stitches float while the body and yoke are worked. It was the diagram that confused me.


Once that hurdle was hurdled, the yoke went very fast. I added a crocheted contrasting border at the neck and a nice Tinn-Per Norweigan frog clasp at the neck.



Just in time for...

No comments: