Friday, January 07, 2005

Beer Report: Amsterdam!

I love Belgian Beer! Save the IPA’s for someone else. I’m definitely on the malty side when it comes to taste. However, living in the States has seriously hampered my Belgian Beer tasting efforts. I’m stuck with whatever can be imported. I mean, I like Duvel and Stella Artois, but come on! Let's get some variety in here!

I was lucky enough to take a quick trip to Amsterdam in November. I was able to get out one evening and visited Café Belgique (Café Belgique’s website is here http://www.xs4all.nl/~phj/index.html. Beer Advocate has a review of Belgique here http://www.beeradvocate.com/beerfly/user_reviews/1694).

I had a Karmeleit, an abbey-style trippel with a plate of fine Dutch cheese. Malty, sweet, with a nice balance of carbonation, 8% alcohol. Fabulous! You may ask yourself, did she only have cheese for dinner? Well yes, I love good food but I am a little intimidated by going to restaurants by myself in a foreign country when I’m jet-lagged. I'll post a photo of my table once I figure out how to do that.

On my last evening, I had a Barbar Winter Bok. This is a darker beer than the Karmeleit, brewed with honey, 8.8% alcohol. Yummy! It is served in a mug. I had the Barbar in a cute little eetcafe called Dwaze Zaken (www.dwazezaken.nl) located near the Centraal Station. I had originally intended to go to Gollem, but try as I might, I couldn’t find the darn place!

No comments: