Thursday, January 03, 2008


Meet Bertha. Doesn't she look fabulous in her new crocheted curly scarf?

Bertha the Singer 151 dress form was my Christmas present. I've always wanted a dress form. I've found it awkward to try and measuring clothing on my body while I'm in it. Watching the designers on Project Runway gave me all sorts of ideas. I could be a fashion designer if only I had a dress form!

Delusions grander than this have tripped me up.

Little Brewer #1 and I set up Bertha the day after Christmas. After adjusting her to the correct height and measurements, I stood back and took a look.

"Wow, that's a big person!" I thought to myself. "Am I really that tall?"

Apparently I am. However, Bertha is considerably more statuesque in her proportions than I. The smallest bust measurement on this model is 38", so I'll be taking in a least a few inches there. I've heard the more expensive models allow for finer measurement distinctions, but my sewing skills don't warrant that kind of spending.

No comments: