Sunday, January 20, 2008

Souls for the master

In a totally good, non-satanic sort of way!


A few months ago, one of the parents at little brewer #1's bus stop was admiring the hat I had made for her and asked if I could teach her how to knit.



"Of course!" I said. "But this particular hat was made in crochet."

"Oh, ok. " She seemed rather disappointed.


It turns out she already knows how to knit. She had simply let her skills lapse. We arranged to get together today so I could refresh her knitting skills.


When I arrived, she pulled out the afghan she had been working on for 11 years. Gorgeous dusky blue, garter stitch edges with a slight ripple pattern. Her problem was not knitting skill- it was lack of time. She wanted to make a hat for her youngest. All my hats are done in crochet. So I whipped out the crochet hook I had conveniently brought along and proceeded to show her how to chain, join, and work in a circle. We drank tea, ate bread and cheese, and switched to beer when her hubby got home. Let me tell you, alcohol does wonders for a too-tight gauge. When I left, she was well on her way down the sides of the hat. heh heh heh. Another person drawn into the bicrafty league!

No comments: